Two Palestinians Shot Trying to Cross Into Israel From Gaza; One Killed, One Detained

Israeli soldiers shot two Palestinians on Sunday after they tried to damage the fence on the Israel border, according to the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit. The army confirmed one of the Palestinians was killed, and the other was apprehended and taken in for questioning.

Early on Sunday, Israeli forces arrested a Palestinian man for attempting to sabotage security measures along the border fence. The man, who the military says is a member of Hamas, was transferred for investigation by security forces.

A video distributed by the Israeli army shows thermal imaging of a man climbing the fence and tampering with what appears to be a security camera. The video included a caption reading: "During operational activity, IDF identified a terrorist belonging to the Hamas terrorist organization as he hampers security measures in the Karni Crossing under the cover of the mist."

According to the army, hundreds of Palestinians rushed the border in central Gaza on Friday during the weekly protests along the fence. Several were wounded by Israeli fire in response. The army added that more than 10,000 Palestinians participated in Friday’s events, saying "attempts have been made to harm security infrastructure, roll burning tires, hurl rocks and fly kites with flaming objects attached to them."

The Palestinian Health Ministry said that three Palestinians were killed and at least 833 were wounded in Friday’s events, the fifth consecutive demonstration in a series of protests known as the "March of Return."

Keep updated: Sign up to our newsletter


Please enter a valid email address

Sign up

Please wait…

Thank you for signing up.

We’ve got more newsletters we think you’ll find interesting.

Click here

Oops. Something went wrong.

Please try again later.

Try again

Thank you,

The email address you have provided is already registered.


Following the protests, Palestinian media reported four were wounded in Israeli bombings across the Gaza Strip. IDF spokesperson released a statement shortly after the reports, confirming the airstrike, saying it was in response to the "terrorist actions and extensive attempts to breach Israeli territory earlier today."