Two Israelis Stabbed in West Bank Terror Attack, Army Says

Two Israelis were wounded in a stabbing near the West Bank town of Azzoun on Saturday morning, emergency services said.

>> Subscribe for just $1 now

After an initial investigation, the army said that they are treating the incident as a terror attack. "A terrorist stabbed two Israeli citizens after they entered the village for medical treatment," an Israeli army statement said. "Security forces are working to arrest the perpetrator."  

>> Not just Palestinian 'lone wolves': Israeli teen's murder points to organized West Bank cells | Analysis ■ West Bank violence could Erupt before Israeli election, security officials believe | Analysis

– Azzoun

The attack took place in the Azzoun area

The victims were a 17-year-old who was moderately wounded and his 60-year-old father, who was lightly wounded.  They were also accompanied by the boy's uncle, who was not hurt. The father said the assailant had asked whether they were Jews or Arabs. 

Staff members of the nearby border crossing said the two were going to Azzoun for a regular dental appointment in the village. Israeli army medical personnel and MDA paramedics provided first aid at the scene and evacuated the two to the crossing for treatment.

The victims were transferred to Meir Hospital in Kfar Sava for examination and further treatment.

Palestinian sources later claimed the Israeli army arrested a 53-year-old man, who is said to be the father of the suspect in the attack.

Breaking news and analyses in your inbox


Please enter a valid email address

Sign up

Please wait…

Thank you for signing up.

We’ve got more newsletters we think you’ll find interesting.

Click here

Oops. Something went wrong.

Please try again later.

Try again

Thank you,

The email address you have provided is already registered.


Last month, 17-year-old Lod resident Rina Shnerb was killed when an explosive device was detonated near the West Bank settlemnent of Dolev, where the family was hiking. Her father was moderately wounded by shrapnel, and her brother was seriously wounded, and then stabilized.

The explosion took place at a natural spring that is a popular tourist and recreational site, which is particularly crowded on weekends and holidays. According to security assessments, the explosive was not thrown at the hikers, but rather set in advance and detonated remotely from dozens of meters away when the family arrived at the spring. 

The far-reaching manhunt for the perpetrators has been ongoing since that attack, and last week a number of Palestinians were arrested in an attempt to collect information about terror organizations that could lead them to the perpetrators. It is still unknown whether the attack was carried out at the directives of a terror group, or by lone assailants.