The head of the Palestinian cell responsible for the terror attack which claimed the life of 17-year-old Rina Shnerb in August has been hospitalized in critical condition after undergoing interrogations with Israel's Shin Bet security service.
>> Election results are in. Subscribe now – save 30%
According to one source, 44-year-old Samer Mina Salim Arbid was first arrested two weeks ago under suspicion of additional crimes, but had to be released because his detention could not be extended. He was then re-arrested early Wednesday morning based on new intelligence that he held explosives. He has thus far been barred from meeting with lawyers, his legal counsel says, and the details of his case are under gag order.
– Haaretz Weekly Ep. 42
Haaretz Weekly Ep. 42Haaretz
Tensions have arisen in the defense establishment around Arbid's interrogation and hospitalization. His attorneys said that he was healthy when he entered police custody, but police notified them he had been transferred to the hospital without specifying the reasons.
Regarding his hospitalization, The Shin Bet said released a statement Saturday evening saying: "During the investigation of the head of the terror cell responsible for the attack on the Ein Buvin spring that killed Rina Shnerb, the investigator reported that he did not feel well. According to procedure, he was transferred to the hospital for medical examinations and treatment. No other details can be provided."
The Association for Civil Rights in Israel called for an immediate investigation into the Shin Bet's interrogation of Arbid. "Israel's moral character can be observed from the basement of the Shin Bet's interrogation," the head of the association's legal department, attorney Oded Feller, said. "And in the darkness of the rooms we cannot forget the necessity of controlling our urges." He added, "Figures of the law are not authorized to torture detainees, no matter the severity of the suspicions against them. Cruel and inhumane means of interrogation are categorically forbidden."