A young Palestinian man was killed overnight Wednesday by live Israeli fire during an Israel Defense Forces operation in the West Bank city of Jenin.
The killed man was identified as 19-year-old Yazan Abu Tabikh.
– Haaretz Weekly Ep. 60
Netanyahu’s ‘annexation nation’ is ready to strike again. ListenHaaretz Weekly Ep. 60
Clashes had apparently erupted between Israeli security forces and Palestinians who were in the area. During the altercations seven Palestinians, among them a policeman, were wounded and evacuated to a hospital in Jenin to receive medical care.
The Israeli military said it is investigating the incident.
Yazan Abu Tabikh.
Also Wednesday night, the Israeli army demolished for the second time the home of Palestinian prisoner Ahmed Qonba'a, convicted of killing an Israeli settler in a drive-by shooting that took place in in January 2018. The Qonba'a family had rebuilt the home after the Israel Defense Forces struck it down in April 2018.
Palestinian snipers opened fire on the Israeli troops who had been safeguarding the unit that carried out the house demolition; the IDF fired back at the snipers. There were no immediate reports of casualties.
Addressing the incidents, Jenin Governor Akram Rajoub told Haaretz that Israel's "aggressive occupation" policy at this sensitive time will lead to further tension and escalation. He added that the Palestinian Authority police officer wounded in the incident was standing at the site of clashes and had not taken part in them.