The Israel Defense Forces have taken steps in preparation to demolish the house of the terrorist responsible for Sunday’s stabbing attack in Jerusalem’s Old City, which left one Israeli dead.
The Samaria Regional Brigade, together with the Shin Bet security service and the Border Police, carried out an engineering mapping for the demolition of Abed al-Rahman Bani Fadel’s house in the West Bank village of Arqaba, and interrogated family members of the 28-year-old assailant. The Israeli army also announced that 15 suspects had been arrested overnight in the West Bank.
Adiel Coleman, a 32-year-old married father of four children from the West Bank settlement of Kochav Hashachar, will be buried Monday morning. The mother of Adiel Coleman, an off-duty security guard who succumbed to his wounds Sunday night, spoke on Army Radio Monday morning.
Yael Coleman said "I said to my other children, ‘We choose life. In another month, we will marry our daughter; we are a chain of generations. We will continue in all the regions of the Land of Israel, from the Golan to the Gaza coast. We will remain in the Land of Israel.’"
Yael added that her son was involved in building the scaffolding in the City of David "to prepare the Temple."
Keep updated: Sign up to our newsletter
Please enter a valid email address
Thank you for signing up.
We’ve got more newsletters we think you’ll find interesting.
Oops. Something went wrong.
Please try again later.
The email address you have provided is already registered.
Coleman was seriously wounded Sunday afternoon when the assailant stabbed the victim in his upper body on Haggay St., near the entrance to the Temple Mount. At the time of the attack, Coleman tried to fend off the assailant until police forces who were in the area arrived at the scene.
Local residents told Haaretz that the assailant was an introverted man who worked in a warehouse. His brother and uncle are part of Hamas’ leadership in the West Bank, though he was not considered to be an active member in the organization.
The Israeli military said he had no background of security offenses, and he was not on the radar of the Shin Bet security service or Israel Police. He had a five-day permit to enter Israel, which began Sunday, to find work.
The attack comes two days after two Israeli soldiers were killed in a West Bank car-ramming attack. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed on Saturday that Israel would demolish the home of the Palestinian responsible for the attack.
Following the attack, the IDF may recommend to the government to change the security barrier’s route in the area of the attack, military sources said. If the barrier is ultimately moved it will split the village of Barta’a in two.